On January 1, 2004, Alberta's Personal Information Protection Act (PIPA) became law in Alberta. The Federal Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA) and other provincial legislation also came into effect at that time.
ATCO Group has operations both inside and outside of Canada. Privacy is an important part of the way we do business. ATCO has always strived to maintain the confidentiality of personal information belonging to everyone we interact with therefore we have developed an ATCO Privacy Commitment to guide these relationships.
What is Personal Information?
For the purposes of this Privacy Commitment, personal information means information about an identifiable individual but does not include business contact information (such as an individual's name, title, business address, business phone and fax number) when such information is collected, used or disclosed for the purpose of business communications.
Why Do We Collect Personal Information?
ATCO collects personal information to enable us to manage and develop our business and operations, including:
- to establish and maintain relations with you so that we may provide you with, or receive from you, the products and services that have been requested (for example, we will use your personal information to establish your identity and location so that we may accurately deliver and bill for the products and services that you request);
- to be able to review the products and services that we provide to you so that we may understand your requirements for our products and services and so that we may work to improve our products and services;
- to be able to review the products and services that we obtain from you so that we may work with you and so that you may understand our requirements for such products and services and work to improve the products and services that you provide to us;
- to be able to inform you of our products and services other than those that you have specifically requested, including sending you information promoting our other products and services;
- to be able to comply with your requests (for example, if you prefer to be contacted at a business or residential telephone number and advise us of your preference, we will use this information to contact you at that number);
- to protect us against error, fraud, theft and damage to our goods and property;
to enable us to undertake our environmental, health and safety activities, including incident planning, response and investigation;
- to enable us to comply with applicable law or regulatory requirements (for example, we may collect personal information to satisfy the obligations imposed on us by various regulatory boards or agencies to follow procedures mandated by such boards or agencies in respect of the provision of our products and services); and
- any other reasonable purpose to which you consent.
How is Your Personal Information Protected?
ATCO endeavors to maintain physical, technical and procedural safeguards that are appropriate to the sensitivity of the personal information in question. These safeguards are designed to prevent your personal information from loss and unauthorized access, copying, use, modification or disclosure.
Updating Your Personal Information
Since we use your personal information to provide products and services to you, or to obtain products and services from you, it is important that the information contained in our records is both accurate and current. If your personal information happens to change during the course of our relationship, please keep us informed of such changes.
Inquiries or Concerns?
If you have any questions about this Privacy Commitment [FOR PIPEDA CUSTOMERS ONLY – OPT-OUT PROVISION "or do not wish us to continue to collect, use and disclose your personal information"] or concerns about how we manage your personal information, please contact:
Scott Roszell, CA
10035 - 105 Street
Edmonton, Alberta T5J 1C8
T: (780) 420-5537
F: (403) 420-3434
Email the Privacy Officer
Interpretation of this Privacy Commitment
This Privacy Commitment includes examples but is not intended to be restricted in its application to such examples, therefore where the word 'including' is used, it shall mean 'including without limitation'. This Privacy Commitment is subject to ATCO's privacy policies and practices and is not intended to modify such policies and practices or to create new rights or obligations not contained within such policies and practices.
Read full Privacy Commitment.